Access to banking

What if I remain unhappy with the decision or service?

If you are not happy with a decision a bank has made about your account or a transaction the best first course of action is to speak to your bank. Banks are customer-focused organisations and staff are on-hand to deal with any concerns or queries you may have.

If following any discussion you are still not happy with a decision you should raise a formal complaint, as described above. This can be done in writing or over the phone and in this you should outline as much information as possible about your case.

(See complaint contact points here)

If following this you still feel that a bank has not handled your case fairly you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service who will be able to look into your complaint for you.

To do this you have to go to the website and fill out your details. They will then look into your case with you and your bank.

For larger businesses with between £6.5 - £10m turnover, a new voluntary service, the Business Banking Resolution Service (BBRS) is being set up. For more information, please visit: