Find a business mentor with mentorsme.co.uk
As Britain’s first specialist online mentoring portal, mentorsme.co.uk offers free access to a comprehensive list of quality business mentoring organisations across Britain. It is operated by the Better Business Finance programme, set up by five high street banks: Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds Banking Group, Royal Bank of Scotland and Santander, and overseen by the BBA.
Any UK business can use mentorsme.co.uk, but start-ups, entrepreneurs and businesses tackling new challenges tend to get the most out of it. An easy-to-use search engine allows you to refine your search according to the life stage of your business and location.
Business mentors will normally offer wide-ranging business experience, or expertise in a particular business area such as finance, marketing or export. They will act as your trusted confidant over a flexible period of time, although you should be clear on what you can and cannot expect from them.
Your mentor will:
- Provide an outside perspective on both you and your business
- Listen in confidence to the matters that worry you
- Share their own experience of both failure and success
- Offer friendly, unbiased support and encouragement
- Provide honest and constructive feedback
- Provide a sounding board for your business ideas
- Help you with decision-making by suggesting alternatives
- Give you access to contacts and networks that might be able to help your business development
Your mentor will not:
- Provide a counselling service
- Invest in your business
- Give specific technical business advice, which would normally be provided by an expert business adviser
- Offer any training or coaching
- Take credit for the success of your business away from you