Been turned down for finance? Here’s how you can appeal…
If your application for bank finance has been turned down, you can appeal the decision. The process is much easier than you might think and, even if your appeal is unsuccessful, it will have no impact on any future applications for finance you make. If you do decide to go ahead, here’s what you can expect from the process:
Things to consider before you appeal
- You have to appeal within 30 days of your original application.
- Your company group turnover level has to be £25m or less.
- If you have already tried to appeal but been unsuccessful, you are not eligible to appeal again.
- You have to be a customer of one of these banks: Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds Bank, Bank of Scotland, RBS, NatWest, Santander, Ulster Bank, Bank of Ireland, Danske Bank, First Trust Bank and TSB [and Clydesdale]
Information you will need for your appeal
- Bank name
- Date of decline
- Your business name
- The company’s registration number
- Business trading address
- Your email address
- Details of your bank relationship manager
- The lending product you applied for
- Account number and sort code
Starting your appeal
To launch your appeal, click here and complete the short appeals form.
Someone from your bank (a person not involved in your original application) will be appointed to review your appeal in the next 30 days.
What happens next?
You can expect to receive the result of your appeal within 30 days, either in writing or by telephone. If you have any questions about your appeals application in the meantime, your bank relationship manager will be able to help you.
What if my appeal isn’t successful?
If your appeal isn’t successful, there will be other options for you to consider. Your relationship manager will often be able to point you in the right direction, so do ask for their advice.
Better Business Finance also offers a Finance Finder Tool, where you can search through a database of over 500 local finance providers.
Whatever the outcome of your appeal, growth for your business should not feel out of reach, and www.betterbusinessfinance.co.uk is here to provide the support you need.